Monday, September 13, 2010

Ok, so while the idea for using flame retardants on the wood would probably work, I think the problems that we are going to run into are: 1. how can we assure the people in charge that each piece is treated the same way as the one we demonstrate. 2. How can the fire marshall CHECK that each piece is treated the same way, unless he personally (or another official representative) oversees the fireproofing. (which I doubt seriously they will be ok with)

I think a better idea would be buying lumber from a company approved by the fire marshall (i.e. the people who make our desks and bookshelves). They have already stipulated that the shelves and desk do not contribute to the 10% of flammable material in the room, so if we can find some place that sells flame-retardant lumber wholesale, it wouldn't matter how we cut it and each piece wouldn't need to be individually inspected. Yes, this would probably cost a significant amount up front, but if it's something people are serious about maintaining, I think it could work. Plus, if we found a wholesale place it would probably reduce the cost significantly.

I found two places that have locations in Fort Worth:

http://www.fireproofing-retardant-lumber-wood.com/interior_fire_treated.aspx

http://www.flamesafewoodproducts.com/index.html

Anyway, that is an idea that was proposed to me, and I think it's worth looking into rather than basically asking the fire marshall to take our word that we performed the fireproofing correctly and to his specifications.

Feedback?

3 comments:

  1. Oh and another thing we might think about is getting alumni to chip in on the upfront cost of getting this lumber...I've heard through the grapevine that some of the alums are unhappy with the decision to get rid of the lofts, so we might be able to appeal to their sense of tradition and help us cover the costs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds very good to me!

    Now, one thing I imagined that might enable us to use wood that we flame-retarded ourselves is building a bonfire and passing each piece of wood through it.
    However, something tells me it wouldn't be as simple as that.
    But if it might, I would be interested in pushing for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I don't think that it would be as simple as that. I think (to comply with the fire code) we would actually have to get a company to come supervise the fireproofing of the material.

    ReplyDelete